April 17, 2008

Are You Speaking English?

English is my native tongue and that of more than 200 million others in this country. We should be fluent in its usage, being that we've been using it since we could speak and learning all about it since kindergarten. But, no...

The English language is butchered by most Americans, including one President Bush, on a daily basis. Most of us can't even construct a simple sentence correctly. Subject-verb agreement? Pronoun references? Correct verb tense? Does anyone even know what this means anymore?

These are my pet peeves; it seems to me that we no longer speak the English language as it was taught to us in school. We have "Americanized" it so much that words and sentences no longer make sense. Example: Me and him ain't going to no store today. Example: I'm gonna get me some dinner.

Arghhhhhh! What has happened to us? Why can't we speak properly? And why don't most of us even care?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You speak some good English.

Anonymous said...

I is offended by that?