May 13, 2008

Motherless Daughters

So here's a thought...Mother's Day. For most people, Mother's Day is a joyous occasion, one in which we celebrate those who nurture, care for, and unconditionally love us. It's just one day, one day out of the year, when we give pause to spend time with those women who have had the most influence on our lives.

However, for some of us, Mother's Day serves as a cruel reminder of what could have been but will never be. It's one day, just one, but no matter how many years go by, no matter how much distance we place between ourselves and the loss of our mothers, we are reminded year after year that we no longer have that one person who loved us no matter what.

We are motherless daughters.

Watching other women spend time with their mothers reminds me of just how different my reality is. I missed out on getting to know my mother as her adult child. She doesn't know my children, nor they her. She doesn't know of the things I've accomplished with my life.

Sometimes I still feel as if I am 31, as if time stood still the day I lost my mother. And maybe in some ways it has.

2 comments:

julie king said...

oh, laura, my heart goes out to you. your mom would be so proud of you and the wonderful woman you have become . ..a loving mother, a confident writer, a good friend and always a giver of laughter and upbeat witticism. i hope you know how much you influenced my life and all of us at AP. and not just one day a year, but every day of the year!

Anonymous said...

Now you are making me sad. That was very well said.