May 31, 2008

Finding the Muse

Creative types are always in search of inspiration, the muse who gives rise to some of the greatest works ever created. All artists have their muses; writers have theirs as well. But the muse can be elusive. She comes and goes as she pleases, and when she does grace you with her presence, it is best not to turn her away. Otherwise, you will find yourself in search of her anywhere and everywhere.

I find that I am in constant need of searching out the muse as I often let her come and go, but luckily, I have learned where to look when my creativity as reached a low point; once you know where to look for your muse, you will find her every time. I find my inspiration in the words of others: Poets, songwriters, novelists who write with near perfection and use words to elicit great emotion. I find it in music that moves within you. I find it in art, beautiful, creative, divine. I find it in the creativity of the Divine itself, in the moonlight that bathes silhouetted images of night, in the distant rolling storm clouds, in the breaking of dawn.

And I find it in others, those who inspire and leave me in awe. So, I wonder, how do you find your muse? Who, or what, inspires you?

1 comment:

julie king said...

very nice post!! i am inspired by dramatic images, vibrant colors and the play of light. a creative mix of words in a song, a novel or poem can bring vivid visual images to mind that inspire me for days. today i took a ton of photos of the clouds and the sky with bits of trees, telephone wires and the sun peeking thru. my muse was a constant, playful companion throughout the day!